TDN

TDN

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

McLaughlin's Super Dirt Week Could Be Truly Super


Jeremiah Fish Photo

"Confidence is huge, and I feel like we have a lot more confidence now than we did in our earlier years."

Confidence is what Max McLaughlin brings more of to Oswego Speedway in 2017, and with good reason. Forged on the heels of his Volusia performance that saw him finish 2nd to Brett Hearn in the points, reinforced his first two career weekly wins at Fulton and Brewerton Speedways earlier this summer, and backed with consistent performances in the top 10 in his Super DIRTcar Series events, the 17 year old wheelman is brimming with it at the right time. It's been a breakout season for him, one that has seen him take his game to another level.

"It hasn't been just one thing that's changed everything, it's been a lot of things. McLaughlin said.  "We switched to Teo cars this year which was a big help. Troyer makes a great car but the Teo's just suits my driving style better. I tend to drive the car really straight. My crew chief Matt Hearn and I have been able to develop the car so I can drive it straight and I'm comfortable. I think a lot of things just clicked starting at Volusia."

Having gone through his fair share of learning experiences in 2016, following an eye opening performance at the 2015 World Finals, McLaughlin entered the season as an unknown factor. One full of potential, and perhaps the largest upside in top level Northeast Big Block Modified racing. That upside became more and more fulfilled as the season went along. The Volusia performance in February was eye opening. And was a great marker for his development. But the experience might not completely compare to what he had to be feeling on August 6th when he scored his first feature win at Fulton. A race that taught him a few things about winning and keeping his wits about him.

"First thing, do not look at the scoreboard," McLaughlin remarked with a chuckle. "You don't want to know who's behind you, especially with the cars I have to deal with all year. It's definitely stiff competition and I'm racing with the best of the best every week. It's been a huge learning experience for me, I feel like its helped develop me as a driver, being able to race against these big name guys.
I was leading a race at Brewerton last year and got nervous with three laps to go and hit a uke tire. I just let the nerves get to me. And after the first win at Fulton, the nerves were just settled the next week at Brewerton. It was out of the way, we knew we could win at this level."

Behind McLaughlin's success every step has been a legendary figure as most know. His father Mike has been a large part of the reason for his fast improvement, both by instruction and passed on genetic traits perhaps, the same ones that helped make his fast ascension happen in the late 1970's through the 1980's. The two share a very special relationship.

"My dad took me every step of the way. He hasn't missed a race since I was seven years old. We have a rare relationship for father and son. We come to work every day at 9 a.m. and work past 10 p.m. We're best friends and that's pretty rare to see, especially to see at 17 years old like I am. I'm really lucky to have my dad in my life and his experience and knowledge and to have a father that's accomplished so much in racing right by my side is huge."

McLaughlin's 2016 Super Dirt Week was marred by the infamous track conditions which were difficult for almost every driver who raced there. Indeed, there is still not much of a setup book developed or much to have learned in last year's event. However, recent testing has indicated that the current crew as well as more time to allow the new dirt surface to settle in will perhaps make this year's version fulfill the original vision in moving the festivities to Oswego, following the demolition of the speedway at the New York State Fairgrounds at Syracuse.

"They had a ton of rain, it was a rush to get the surface down. The track is going to be 100% better this year. We tested last Thursday and I can say the track was perfect. There were no holes, no sign of it tearing up at all. They really did an awesome job this year and I'm really excited for Super Dirt Week this year. Just knowing Syracuse from being there, I can say the racing is 100 percent better at Oswego. It was an awesome atmosphere and I think that's what everybody misses. Just the atmosphere of being at Syracuse and being at Super Dirt Week, I think they just got a bad taste from last year. It didn't work out the way everybody wanted. The track gave everybody an excuse to say they missed Syracuse, or they wished it was still here. But I think everybody's going to be happy with the way it works out this year. I back those guys 100 percent. It's going to be great racing, three grooves wide, I'm really excited about it."

Still though, McLaughlin has learned enough to have an idea of what it takes to win, and to make a win at Oswego possible.

"Patience is the biggest thing. You've got to finish to win. It's a 200 lap race and there's a lot of things that could go wrong. You just have to be prepared for anything. The crew can win the race just as much as the driver. It's alot different from Syracuse. I think you can stretch the fuel mileage a lot more at Oswego, it's a lot less miles and you never know when a caution is going to fall. If you can pit under caution and you don't have to stop under green, that's going to be the way to go.  Everything has to go your way and you just have to be there at the end. A top three finish...It would mean everything. It would mean a lot to us, not only me, but all the guys on this race team that have put in so many hours and so much effort for this event. I can't ask for any better people to be surrounded by. So if I could get a good finish for these guys it would mean the world to me. We're aiming for the win."

If confidence truly breeds confidence, and great moments come from great opportunity, then McLaughlin might make the best darkhorse candidate to wind up on the podium this year at Oswego. He's put himself in position to have a great opportunity through hard work and learning from his mistakes starting from day one. It should surprise nobody if he took advantage of it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment