Monday, April 24, 2017
2017 Pennsylvania Super Late Model Power Rankings: Week 5
Hey there race fans, it's Monday, so that means It's time for me to update these rankings.
We had a fairly busy racing weekend here for the first time in 2017 this past weekend. Bedford, Dog Hollow, and Selinsgrove all held weekly shows, and McKean County and Port Royal ran specials. The point structure for the McKean County show is the <5k special point structure, and the 10k Lucas shows at Port Royal had the 10k special point structure, so naturally, some new names showed up on the poll in a big way.
For the first time, national touring names are starting to be seen in the standings. It's a departure from past years. Because they'll generally only be popping in for 10k and up specials and their increased point structures, it might seem as if they have an unfair advantage when it comes to these standings. I don't think that'll really be the case. In theory, the guys grinding out points every single week should accumulate more points than the guys who are around five or six times a year with ease. We'll have to see if it pans out that way.
It's only going to get more busy from here. Lernerville, PPMS and Marion Center will all enter themselves into the game, as their schedules get rolling this coming weekend. It makes the tallying process more tedious for me (though Dirt on Dirt's weekly roundup makes finding weekly results easy) but it also makes the poll more interesting. The more names that are in play scoring points, the more the standings will get jumbled. And jumbled standings are what make this column more interesting.
So let's get to this week's top ten.
1. Jeff Rine**, 22 points. Jeff ran second at Bedford Friday.
2. Gregg Satterlee*, 19 points. Greg was second at Port Royal Sunday.
3. Matt Cosner*, 14 points. Matt took the win at Bedford Friday.
4. Dave Hess Jr.*, 12 points. Dave came home second at McKean County Saturday.
5. Gary Stuhler, 11 points. Gary went scoreless this week.
6. Rick Eckert*, 10 points. Rick was first under the checkers at Port Royal Sunday.
6. Coleby Frye, 10 points. Coleby had an 0fer this past weekend.
6.Tony Adams, 10 points. Tony got a second at Selinsgrove Saturday.
6. Chad Hollenbeck*, 10 points. Chad ran third at Bedford Friday, and was fourth at Selinsgrove Saturday.
10. Mike Lupfer*, 9 points. Mike had a scoreless weekend.
And that's the top ten this week.
As I said, there's tons of racing this coming weekend as most of the remaining super late model tracks in the state join the party. Get out and see the action at one of them. Me personally, I think I'm gonna hit PPMS for the 2017 version of the Red Miley Rumble on Saturday. Might not have a lot of cars in attendance, but the place is always incredibly racy.
Until next week, may your beer stay dirty and your ears ringing with the sounds of 430 cubes coming at you at full bore.